I've been fighting off my sadness for quite a while. Replacing it with work stress, moving madness, or a glass of wine or two worked for a while. It's been two months and it seems that life's hills seem a little tougher to climb without him.
Yet, as I lay in this bed with a wet pillow, I know my Dad wouldn't have wanted me doing this. What he'd really want is for me to honor the husband person today. My father adored him and often "protected" him from my wrath. (😄)
So, rather, than trying to tell people how awesome my Dad is, I'm going to instead tell you what makes the husband person such a great Dad.
2. You're the fun parent. Sighhh, I can't compete with you. You know how to have a good time. Sometimes your fun can be aggravating to the medium person, but alas, it still counts as fun.
3. You show the medium person what love should look like. I'm not the easiest person to get along with but you show the medium person what loving someone like me truly means.
4. You're a sap when it comes to the medium person. Enough said.
5. You're a feminist. This makes me so proud that you made a daughter with me. You believe in equal rights and would kick anyone's butt who tried to pay your daughter less money for the same work than that of her male counterparts. You instill in her so many values about her self worth as a human being.
7. You're smoking hot. I know this has nothing to do with being a good Dad but it did help you become a dad. (Wink wink) :)
On this Father's Day, know that I love you and appreciate the amazing care you take of our daughter. You are as much her parent as I am. (To be frank, if it were a contest, you'd win, hands down.) In a society, where the role of the father is often diminished, you are a bright light and a beacon of hope for young men and women.
You think before you act. You think before you speak. You choose kind words and refrain from speaking if you can't think of any. You're a wonderful example of what parents, including me, should strive for.
Thank you for all that you do.